Prime News Ghana

High Court dismisses Gyakye Quayson’s application for stay of proceedings

By Primenewsghana
Shares
facebook sharing button Share
twitter sharing button Tweet
email sharing button Email
sharethis sharing button Share

The Accra High Court has dismissed the application for a stay of proceedings filed by Assin North MP James Gyakye Quayson in his ongoing criminal case.

In a ruling today (July 11), the court presided over by Justice Mary Maame Ekue Yanzuh, said no exceptional circumstance had been proven by Quayson’s lawyers to warrant the grant of stay of proceedings.

Justice Yanzuh said, “I am unable to agree with the submission that the appeal has a brighter chance of success because of errors of law.

“The fact that the applicant believes his appeal will succeed does not by itself warrant and it does not warrant a special circumstance for a stay to be granted,” the presiding judge said.

The Court emphasised that its decision to hear the case on day-to-day basis was still in force.

But lead counsel for Quayson, Tsatsu Tsikata, notified the court of his intention to file another application at the Court of Appeal to put the trial on hold.

He added that he needed more time to attend to a private matter, hence he would be unable to attend proceedings.

He further prayed the court to chose a later date for the trial instead of Wednesday, July 12, 2023.

The trial was subsequently adjourned to Friday, July 14, 2023.

Meanwhile, the Minority in Parliament once again boycotted business activities in Parliament in support of the trial of Quayson.

This is the second time Minority MPs have abandoned Parliamentary work to accompany their colleague.